lunedì 22 settembre 2014

From San Francisco to Bologna, always to fight cancer

From Bologna to San Francisco and back. 
After running through the streets of San Francisco to support the Italian Cancer League and raising 2.000€ THANKS TO ALL OF YOU,  I'm back in Bologna, sitting at my desk..

I was asked for my impressions and feelings about this (amazing!) experience...

Q: You ran to remember that there are still too many people in the world who do not have access to anti-cancer therapies ... 
 
A: Yes. I wanted to raise funds to support LILT’s projects for those most in need. I have to say that we exceeded our expectations. I have received many comments, on my blog and via twitter; I felt so much appreciation. Recognition is one of the things that tells me I am doing the right thing; and, to me, doing the right thing is very important.

Q: Running along foreign streets has turned the spotlight on our projects?
A: We had an immediate response - and I have to say, it’s been touching – from people I have never met in person. “My Name is NOT Cancer,” an English organization, dedicated a blog post to our race and made a donation to support our fundraising campaign. Many Twitter contacts, from all over the world, have expressed solidarity with our efforts, even Lauren Tom, an American actress best known in Italy for the TV show "Supernatural".

Q: How was your project welcomed in the US? 
A: In America, because there are many charity races and many people do it themselves, it was easier to explain what I was doing and what I meant to accomplish by running to fundraise. Maybe it surprised them that I chose to run a race during my holidays and that it was an “international project” ... even if it was actually them making it international, listening to me and joining in... it didn’t surprise them that I was running to raise funds. While in the US, I shared my project with almost everyone I met: at the ballgame, during walking tours of San Francisco, while visiting Make a Wish Foundation and other nonprofit organizations.

Q: Let’s get the feeling: Ready, steady, go!

A: The start of the Fog City Run was ... devastating! The first climb was a killer. I never gave up, but I admit, I had a few moments of discouragement. After that though, everything got easier. I enjoyed running, I also enjoyed the wonderful views ... and at the finish line: a feeling of freedom and accomplishment. I had reached the goal, I had met the challenge! Freedom, fulfillment, joy!

Q: What do you think of new “unconventional” fundraising, such as the ice bucket challenge? 
A: I love them! I am delighted that the Ice Bucket Challenge spread to Italy too; it means that people are getting used to this kind of fundraising initiative which is "unconventional" only for us. In the rest of Europe, without having to go to the United States, it is rather common. Running, walking, jumping from a bridge, climbing a mountain ... any challenge you can think of, can be used to raise awareness and raise funds for a good cause. The Ice Bucket Challenge was touching to me because it meant a fundraising campaign had become global. Awesome! This is a new aspect in fundraising. Very encouraging.


Q:Choose one word to describe your experience?

A: Intense.
 

Fund raising campaign details:
Donations received: 54
Funds raised online: 2.000€
Funds raised through wire transfer: 270€
total raised: 2.270€
expenses on LILT (usage of Rete del Dono platform): 122,00€
net income from the campaign: 2.148€

Thank you very much for your support!

This specific fund raising campaign has ended, but can still support the project here




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Nota. Solo i membri di questo blog possono postare un commento.