sabato 24 maggio 2014

(ENG) The Game


I love baseball … and always have.

As a kid I used to spend my afternoons at Gianni Falchi, Bologna’s ballpark where my team, Fortitudo, plays. My best friend and I used to assist the team’s workouts during the weekdays, and go to the ball games on the weekends, often following the team even on the road.



When in college, I didn’t have as much time to go to the ballpark anymore. However, nothing could have stopped me from going to the ball game on Friday nights, for the American pitcher game.

Now, time is no longer my problem: I admit it, I am just too lazy. In April it's too cold, in August it’s too hot and therefore occasions to go to the ball game are fewer every year ... but I have never forgotten baseball ... oh no! The first love is never forgotten. And each and every time I go back to Gianni Falchi, it’s like coming back home after a long journey.



I’ve always been excited about baseball. The sounds, the colors, the atmosphere. Baseball has its own voice, so many little noises filling the air; its own face outlined by the red of the infield, the white of the bases and the green of the grass, players’ uniforms, flags waving behind the outfielders ...

Baseball is the Game of Life, maybe that's why I love it so much.

You have to reach first base counting only on yourself, seizing opportunities, not wasting chances, using only your skills and talent. You won’t always succeed, though… and as it happens in life, if you can make even a third of your dreams come true it’s already a great accomplishment. However, without any help from others you won’t be able to do as much, you’ll be left on first base.

 


Baseball is the perfect metaphor for life, for life and fight ... for the fight against cancer: winning is not easy, you have to run all the bases and you cannot do it by yourself. You need help, you need your team
supporting you, you need a teammate pushing you forward.



You have to conquer each base and even if you reach home plate it doesn’t mean you've won. You have to defend the lead you have gained.



I cannot imagine the feelings one has following a cancer diagnosis. I cannot, and it wouldn’t be fair to try. Trying too hard to understand another’s feelings, only allows you to define opinions and ideas for something you haven’t experienced yourself. So more than wanting to understand, I want to welcome... and to welcome someone you need to make space within yourself. I therefore don’t want to fill this space with my own thoughts, my own opinions and assumptions. I cannot imagine, but I can feel: sometimes you feel other’s fatigue, their loneliness. As hitters at bat, alone, they don’t know what pitch is coming, they don’t know the future, they don’t know if they will really be able to react. But then when they reach first base... Safe!

We will fight cancer one base at a time! Maybe we’ll need extra innings, but we’ll win the game.


All photos by Simone Amaduzzi Photographer
(Thank you!)
Thanks to Fortitudo Baseball 1953 for being so great on and off the field.

If you want to be part of our Game, please visit my page: link
Every contribution is important for LILT and very very appreciated!
All contributions will support the Italian Cancer League, Bologna activities to prevent and fight cancer, especially for those most in need



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Nota. Solo i membri di questo blog possono postare un commento.